When you’re going through cancer, the most important thing to have is a team behind you. These are the people who will keep your head above water and your hopes high.
Whether it’s family, friends or professional support workers, having the right people around can make a huge difference.
- It’s times like these that can make or break a relationship or friendship – some people will take you completely by surprise.
- There will be some who don’t quite know how to deal with the news & they may turn out to disappoint you – someone you thought you could always rely on might suddenly be completely absent.
- Don’t hold this against them – you won’t have the energy to hold grudges and unfortunately, people will never react in quite the ‘right’ way – your friendship with them will probably never be the same but for now, you have to concentrate on the strong relationships that you have around you.
- Surround yourself with positive people – anyone who sits next to you & moans about everything in their life is really not needed at times like this! Also avoid those who visit you merely to gain sympathy & attention from their own friends!
- Make time to catch up with people but don’t feel obliged to see them all the time – they only want to make sure you’re doing okay & if you say you’re feeling rubbish, they’ll understand.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help & accept the support of others if you’re in need of it.
- Those around you may not always know how you’re feeling – people who are in the same situation will always be very understanding & sympathetic if you strike up a conversation with them.
- Call 0808 808 0000 for the Macmillan Cancer Helpline if you’re in need of a friend.
There will be some unexpected surprises along the way – you might hear from people that you lost contact with & receive gifts from acquaintances or even complete strangers. It’s a big learning curve & I still feel that I haven’t thanked everyone properly for all their support when I had cancer – there were just so many kind people around! Appreciate the people you do have & let go of those who let go of you,